I thought I was losing my mind. About half the time, when making adjustment to a stylesheet, the site would not update. This was causing development work that should take about ten times as long. Not good.
UPDATE: I got a comment from someone named ‘Whit’ which reads:
I have also had this problem. Though you guys might like a clearer answer as I got from iPage. They told me the following, “We use Varnish Caching technology. Hence, your website may not display the changes immediately.”
Very annoying. Either way, the simplest answer is to add no cache code to your .htaccess file like below:
Header set Cache-Control: “private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0?
Header set Expires: 0
Header set Pragma: no-cache
Thanks, Whit!!! [now back to my story]
After finding this, I finally called iPage. After debating with their “tech support” person about whether or not this could be their fault (which it clearly is), the person finally found that he could turn off some sort of caching that iPage has running by default on shared hosting accounts. Eureka! Unfortunately, it took 20 minutes to get thru to support. More unfortunately, I had to plea and argue with the person for fifteen minutes before I could inspire him to discover that indeed, the caching is happening. And most unfortunately of all, before I finally convinced the person to to look for the solution, the person tried to convince me that I should be willing to put up with it taking “ten minutes” or more for a CSS update to take affect. His words, “ten minutes.” Seriously? Ten minutes for a CSS tweak to take effect? I can’t believe someone would say such a thing. We’re talking about changes that take five seconds to make. We’re talking about the workflow that virtually every web developer relies on: upload a change to the server, view the change in a browser, rinse repeat. Ugh!
Oh, and the kid also said that this caching that he turned off on iPage’s end might take up to 24 hours to actually turn off… WTF!
So while I’m at it let me just say this about iPage also: FTP times out a lot with them. Very annoying, but I can deal with that.
I don’t think the money you save by going with iPage (a few dollars a month) rather than another hosting provider ( bluehost or hostgator, for instance) is worth it.
I’m angry at them for
- Having support staff that are completely ignorant to the daily reality of all developers
- Having caching turned on by default and not making this known to their support people
- Having slow servers that drop or stall ftp connections constantly
OK. I’m done now. Back to work.